Reaching the intended audience has never been the easiest thing to do, and not necessarily always the best thing to do. Many artists prefer to write the songs that will sell and the songs that have some meaning to them, not the songs that they want to write. I have a much more realist view of the world. I don't write what will sell, I write what I want to write; simply because it is what I enjoy doing. Most of my work is more awkward than a song you'll hear on the radio, or even a song you'll hear from any band out there right now, because that's just how I write. I don't write short simple lines to the tune of four chords, nor do I always do a straight forward versechorusverse- that's just not me. The grammar as well is very lax and not something you'd see in any English majour's work. Because I work outside the boundary of language, not within it's small cell. I also write to vent, and for a short period in my life all I would write about is girls I wanted to fuck and how the school was retarded for not letting me graduate. Not to say I don't write about that anymore, but I write about it much less often than I used to.
Another thing I've noticed is a lot of recent albums (hell, even albums from as far back as the 70s) have been lacking a overarching theme or story, this is especially true in Hip Hop (or "Negro") music such the case of Soulja Boy, 50 Cent or other assorted "pop" rappers. This is another thing I tend to address in my writing choices, I don't generally write single after single (which is what many people would prefer), but I write songs and generally try to pick a single out of that group, it generally ends up being the one that would make most sense outside of the set. This is something many modern artists don't do, and in fact skip completely giving the record company complete control over what songs are going to be released; what this tends to do is leads people to only listen to that one song and even go so far as paying 15$ for a CD that they only wanted one song off of and pretty much never touch that CD after another hit song comes out. This is something I've ended up noticing with a lot of the music I like, I can barely listen to the songs outside of the album unless it's a music video or live performance, and even then it's hard to really enjoy the song because it doesn't have the same power without the songs before and after.
But if you know me (which hopefully some of you do) you'll know that writing music isn't my love, but the production is. I don't care so much about the mechanics of why guitars and drums and the sort work, I care more about the sonic art that goes on. The drafting wind of a guitar riff from panning left to right, or the bass heavy kick drum intro booming all the way into the perfectly balanced vocal progression that opens an album up for all to see, the way the instruments are all turned up and down so as to balance out the sound and to get a song where all instruments could hold their own, but meld together to form something so much more powerful, the placement of microphones to strategically record echo to get a more intimate tone so as to draw the listener in; this is my passion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment